1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - Cell Selection

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by WhitPhil, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

This post is from another board. I have seen this problem quite a while ago and resolved it (Excel 97), but can not remember what caused it.
    As I "remember" the solution was relatively minor, but .....

Anyone have a clue?

Tx

"On my XP machine, for some reason recently if I open Excel 2002 and try to click anywhere on the spreadsheet, it will highlight a cell. Then I move the mouse and it keeps dragging an area to select. The problem is I click it another 10,000 times and it won't stop selecting cells. I have no clue why this mouse isn't working correctly. It works just fine everywhere else, but for some reason in Excel it suddenly found an error or something in the software and it seems to like it."

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Is F8 pushed? That's the toggle for Extend Selection - like if you held down the Shift key and started selecting cells w/ your mouse. Is that what you mean?

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I don't think that is it, but I will suggest.

I "think" what it looks like is if you go to the desktop, click and hold the right mouse button and move the mouse.

4. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi WhitPhil,

I've had this before also and it appeared to be only when I had v.large spreadsheets and I was moving the mouse whilst it was still loading.

I tried pressing ESC and banging the mouse about (frustration!) and eventually it seemed to clear.

Sorry I don't know the answer, but you're not alone!

rgds
    Hew

5. mark007

mark007

I've had this probelm before.

The solution, move the folder on my desk that was on top of the control key!

:)

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

ROFL!! Nice one Mark! I've done it with the space bar, wondering why my browser kept scrolling down automatically! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice