1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Columns

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by p51, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Is it possible to hide certain columns in a worksheet? (Excel 97 on Win98se). We have a spreadsheet that has columns A-G then BF-BJ, then BM-BR. The person that created the spreadsheet is on vacation this week, so we can't talk to them. The person using the spreadsheet now, says there is more information that is needed to get this information currently on the spreadsheet. Is it a reach to think that there may be more info in possibly hidden columns? Aside from renaming columns, is there any other way that someone would go straight from G to BF?

Thanks a lot for the help!

J

2. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Ok, I found out how to hide columns/rows/sheets. It would appear that all one would have to do to unhide is to reverse the process (FORMAT-COLUMN-UNHIDE). When I got there UNHIDE is an available option. When I select UNHIDE it acts as though something is unhiding, but there are no new columns and UNHIDE remains an available option. I would think that if I am able to selsect UNHIDE that would mean that there are hidden columns. Why would nothing happen when I select it, and why would it remain a selectable option?

Thanks again,

J

3. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I figured it out. You have to select the column before and after the missing one/ones then go to FORMAT-COLUMN-UNHIDE.

You guys still rock!

4. RandyG

RandyG

You can also right-click selected columns or rows and choose Hide/Unhide. It's a little faster than going through the menu options:D

It's a lot more fun to discover how to do something on your own, isn't it?!;) The best part about it is, if you can't figure it out, more than likely someone here will do it for you!

Good Luck.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

ahhh grasshopper - the road to self enlightenment ;)

to unhide the entire worksheet you could also click on the 'all cells' button (i have no idea what it's called LOL)

very top left button - right of column A, left of column 1

hint: i usually highlight then bold or italicize the hidden columns - so i remember which ones to hide again - or do a global font colour change to the hidden columns - anything to flag them for re-hiding

6. p51

p51 Thread Starter

You guys are right. It was something very small, but put a smile on my face none the less.

Those are some good ideas to keep in mind in the future to, to remember quickly which ones to rehide.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That IS a good idea, jb!!

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

i try to get one at least once a week

can i go home now? ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/79931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice