1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel concatenate

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by drafter, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I have excel 2003 and I have concatenated a bunch of cells in to cell A2". I can now right click the contents of A2 drag and drop them as values to A3... but I would like to eliminate the step of dragging and droping so I made cell A3 "=value(A2)". This does not seem to work I get the error #VALUE! in cell A3. Can anybody tell me how to do this?

thanx

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

I don't -- but I'm only guessing at the kind of values you might be using. Please give more detail (e.g. cell 1 contains x, cell 2 contains y, what the A2 formula is, etc.).

3. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

This is my formula "=CONCATENATE(DATA!A2,"-",DATA!B2,"-",DATA!C2," - ",DATA!D2,DATA!E2,DATA!F2,DATA!G2)" Im actually taking data from another page called DATA... I was just trying to keep my question as simple as possible. All my data is just text.

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

A2/B2/C2 are to make up a date? What's in D2/E2/F2/G2?

Or if you prefer, what do you get with =TEXT(A2,"") ?

5. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

thans for your time bomb #21 but =TEXT(A2,"") does not paste as a value. Here is what is in the 7 fields... I have them seperated by hyphens. They are names of drawings broken down into 7 columns and now I want to put them back together.

This is what is in the columns:
    A1-34947-KT-4-240 - STUDBLAST - 7.5 TON OVERHEAD CRANE ELECTRICAL CONTROL SCHEMATIC

thanx

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

I'm afraid I don't get "paste as a value". The only way to paste as a value is to, err, paste as a value. A formula won't achieve that. Hopefully someone else will be able to figure what you're actually after.

Regrets,
    Andy

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You either want a formula or a value.

To use a formula to show whatever is in cell A2, use ...

=A2

To paste only the values of what is in cell A2 ...

Select A2
    Press Ctrl + C
    Press Alt + E, S, V (That's Alt + E simlutaneously, then touch S, then touch V, then Enter)

HTH

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice