1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel crashed; file there but can't open

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kimmer13, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Excel crashed while a file was open. The file is still on the hard drive with a 728KB size (which is correct) and a time stamp that matches the last time it was saved before the crash. But the file does not open. When in Excel , File/Open/filename produces an empty screen, no rows or columns, nothing, but the title bar says "Microsoft Excel - filename". No error message is received at all.

Any thoughts on how to restore use of this file?

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

kimmer13, you don't say which version of Excel. Do you have Detect & Repair on the Help menu?

Rgds,
    Andy

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Apologies, should have said. Have tried opening the file using various pc's running different versions to see if a newer version of Excel would open/fix the file. The original file was being used with Excel 98, but Excel 2000 produces identical results.

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

With the file (seemingly) open, can you get any info out of File -- Properties -- Contents? Specifically the sheet names. Or do you know those anyway?

Rgds,
    Andy

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

You might be able to save some data by external linking. In a new file, you’d use a formula in Sheet1!A1 like

='C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\CWU\[Rebate Proposal.xls]Old vs New'!D11

, i.e. including the full path. You’d then drag this across and/or down to pull the data in. The bad news is that while this might work for constants, it won’t for formulas and formats.

Rgds,
    Andy

6. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

not while in xl. however if i locate the file using explorer i can access properties, and all sheet and chart names, stats, author, etc. are present.

7. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

xl guru: noticed something that may be helpful. While trying yet again to open the file, i chose "open as copy". Same thing happened as before, but then I saw in Explorer it had saved a "copy of ___" on the hard drive.

is the file maybe opening and closing itself so fast I'm not seeing it? maybe the macro in the workbook for saving & closing is running right away? How do I suppress a startup macro in XL to test this?

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Try this...usually works when you have a file open, but it's "not there".

Open the file.
    Hit Window-Arrange.
    And then just hit OK.

All it usually is is that the Workbook window (inside the application window) has become moved outside the gray area of the application window area that you see.

Once you've got it in view, you GENERALLY will want to double-click it's title bar. That puts it back the way most people view their Excel worksheets.

9. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

dreamboat, the options under 'window' are greyed out as if there is no file open at all. thanks for the idea tho, it was worth a shot...

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Is it possible to send the file, kimmer?
    I'll get that sucker open for ya.
    :)

anne
    at
    piersontech
    dot
    com

11. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

dreamboat - i can email it to you if that's ok. it is a client's schedule file and i'd rather not post it for any & all to download...

if that's ok w/you, pls give me your email
    thanks!

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL, Kimmer. I did above. Here it is again, probably in a format you recognize easier:

[email protected]

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ok. I see now.
    Got your file.
    No, I wasn't able to *repair* it. Sorry. :(

Here's what I'd do.
    Make a copy.
    Hit File-Properties and check the exact sizes reported on the file.
    Do the repair thingee and save to a new name.
    Hit File-Properties and check the exact sizes...

Same?
    If so, then I do not believe you have actually lost anything.
    Otherwise, there is no network backup of your file?

14. XL Guru

XL Guru

Did you try external linking?

>> How do I suppress a startup macro ...

I can't see this would help, then again it can't hurt to try. However, I don't answer this question in public ; you'd have to PM me.

Rgds,
    Andy

15. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

I downloaded a demo copy of ExcelFix, and it successfully accessed the file w/all sheets, formulas etc. But they want $150 - without purchasing it I can only view the recovery results, not save them. Its log file doesn't show any corrupt data that needed repairs or deletions. Makes me wonder if there's something like an EOF marker missing or something like that... or as I mentioned earlier, a renegade macro that is saving & closing the file instantly every time it's opened.

Linking to the file also works, as XL guru mentioned, but then we lose all formulas (and there are hundreds) as well as formatting, etc. The client has never had to pull something off the back ups they've been making nitely till now, and now discover the backups are all blank (apparently the user wasn't closing the file off from network users before beginning the backup, so it never ran because it was "in use")... murphy's law.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice