1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Crashes And Won't Uninstall

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hedgehead, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hedgehead

hedgehead Thread Starter

I'm running Office 2000 Premium on Win 2000 OS. When I try to open an existing Excel file I get the following message: "Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I've tried every "trick" I've read online about this error but have not been able to correct it. So my next step was to uninstall and reinstall. However 30 seconds or so into the uninstall (from the Control Panel Add Remove Programs) I get the following error: "Installer terminated prematurely." And behind that error message is "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request." (I also get these same errors if I try to repair.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't open my Excel files, can't repair the program, can't even uninstall and then reinstall. I'm at a loss. Please help.

Thanks.

Ed

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Dump it from the registry (see troubleshooting): www.theofficeexperts.com/excel.htm

If that doesnt' work, check out the tips & tricks section for my post on manually removing Office.

3. hedgehead

hedgehead Thread Starter

That worked!!! Thanks. Once it was removed from the registry I was able to "repair" Excel and now it works like it should.

Ed

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Cool beans, Ed.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice