Excel - Default Format

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ncomite

When entering a date in a new spreadsheet, Excel's standard format looks like this: "13 August".

I'd like to reset the default so when entering a date anywhere on a new spreadsheet, it would look like this: "8/13/05".

How do I reset the defaults?

Welcome to the board.

I believe the default isn't governed by Excel, but by the short date format under Regional Settings (Control Panel). Try tinkering with that (via the Start menu).

HTH,
Andy

EDIT: you might find the shortcut for entering the current date handy ; it's CTRL+;

ncomite

XL Guru said:
Welcome to the board.

I believe the default isn't governed by Excel, but by the short date format under Regional Settings (Control Panel). Try tinkering with that (via the Start menu).

HTH,
Andy

EDIT: you might find the shortcut for entering the current date handy ; it's CTRL+;
Thanks - but the regional settings are the way I'd like it (8/14/05)...... but entering a date on a new spreadsheet still displays as "14 Aug"

ncomite said:
Thanks - but the regional settings are the way I'd like it (8/14/05)...... but entering a date on a new spreadsheet still displays as "14 Aug"
Click on Format> Cells> Number tab> Category: then Date on the right under type:, select how you want date displayed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online