1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel error after reinstall

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Flintstone, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flintstone

Flintstone Thread Starter

Hi ,
    After I reformat my c: drive and reinstall winXP pro on C: , I also reinstall my programs on the F: drive , where they used to be installed . I never deleted or uninstalled the programs on the F: drive .
    One of the programs that I reinstalled is MS Office pro, XP .
    This time when I Open Excel , I see an error :
    'f:\Program Files\SelectFunction\SELECTFUNCTION.XLA' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.
    If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

I close this message and can continue with the program . Anybody knows what could be wrong ?
    thanks;)

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No worries.
    Just say OK.
    Then go to Tools-Addins and uncheck the SelectFunction addin.
    You won't get the error anymore.
    But you won't be able to use the addin.
    You CAN find the selectfunction.xla and put it in the addins folder, and you'll stop getting the error and the addin will load...

3. Flintstone

Thanx Dreamboat !
    But when I go to tools , de "addins" is grey , hence I cannot de-activate it ? How do I activate this addins , ?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Addins is gray? Then there is something wrong with your installation. Try the troubleshooting steps at www.theofficeexperts.com/excel.htm

In particular, the registry fix...

Either that, or you don't have proper permissions set up in WinXP.

5. Flintstone

Problem solved ! After removing MS office ( registry fix didn't help ) en reinstalling MS office , deleting all the temp folders en files , I could see the "addins" function , it was no more gray . And I deleted the "selectfunction" .
    Now when I restart MS office Xp I don/t see that error anymore . Needless to say how thankfull I'm for your advice !

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Cool beans, Fred!

Love, Wilma...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice