Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excel file changed to random word TMP file?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SeanLaurence 
#1 ·
Hi,

So I was working on a document for work. The document is on Excel and has data from every month this year.

I was opening the file and the laptop then froze. I gave it a good 20 minutes but nothing, so had no choice but to hard reset (not even task manager was opening)

After turning it back on and opening the file, I was horrified to see that the data from April onwards was missing. 4 months of work gone. Obviously the file was smaller at 5mb than the 7mb it was when I was working on it. But then I found in the file location an Adobe TMP file. It had a random name (series of numbers) but was the same file size and date late modified was the time of the crash.

This must be my data. It's now a word file, but I can't open it with Excel. Is there anything I can do to convert the TMP file to the Excel document and recover my data?

Thanks

#2 ·
This is where I tell you restore the file from backup..
What is that? You don't have one?
From the symptom's you describe , it appears that you may have become a victim of ransomware.
Is this the only file that has been renamed? Ransomware usually leaves a note in a file in each of the folders that it goes through with instructions on how to pay the extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.