1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel File LOCKED

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Walrus2!!, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Walrus2!!

Walrus2!! Thread Starter

:confused:

Hello,
    I have a multi part question about Excel. At work (a small family company) we have a spreadsheet that is used as an inventory and a customer history file. It has many pages probably between 10-14. The first and foremost problem is that it is LOCKED when opened and I can’t save changes or even save it under a new name. It is a shared file and we use it on our network of five computers. When it is opened it say’s LOCKED - to save changes; reopen before making changes-rename when saving; or turn off sharing. None of these things work. Also with this same file I had copied and paste from another file that was from a new supplier into it. My original file size was about 24mb after I cut and pasted from the other file that was 18mb I ended up with a final file size of 140mb! So ever since it would take forever to open and to save etc. Please HELP

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

(Ignoring the size for now,) sounds like it's corrupted. I believe XL2K2 has a good repair facility -- can you try it on a (non-network) machine that has 2K2?

Can you moved individual sheets out to a new workbook?

Rgds,
    Andy

3. Walrus2!!

Walrus2!! Thread Starter

XL Guru,

Your the man!! I had to copy all the sheets at once inorder to keep all the links proper but I'm back in buissness! Excel kept -not responding- during the copying but I kept "swiching" to it. Also my file size is now only 18.8mb which speeds things up greatly. Any Idea on how the file size grows like I explained?

Thanks you, XL Guru!! :)

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

A file can develop a lot of dead space as you work on it ; but that shouldn't have been affected by using the fix you did. If I said it might've been something to do with the corruption I'd be totally guessing.

Rgds,
    Andy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice