1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel file won't download or display properly

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by accountsk, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. accountsk

accountsk Thread Starter

HELP! I use Office 2010. I am exporting to excel from QuickBooks a customer list to send to another office. They also use Office 2010. Everytime they try to open the file the file looks like gobblety gook. I have tried to dropbox the file, same problem. I can open the file properly from dropbox, she can't. She clicks for it to open with excel and nothing happens. Any help greatly appreciated!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how are you saving the file ?
    what options does quick books give

can you try emailing the file - or is it to big
    maybe try using onedrive or another file sharing option

is the file saving as an xls or xlsx
    perhaps try opening up in excel after extracting from quickbooks
    then save using excel to the dropbox folder and save as an older format - like excel 2003/XP .xls format

3. accountsk

accountsk Thread Starter

Wayne,

I export to excel, then save the excel. I have tried it as an .xls, and .xlsx, a excel 2003....nothing works. I have sent the file to her via 4 different email accounts, set it up as a download off a website and even as a share on Dropbox. It either opens up with everything looking like machine code.....or won't even open. She has a new computer (8 months old) and everything worked well at the beginning, then her computer didn't shut down correctly and she had to take it in and the techs reformatted her hard drive and reset up her programs. Ever since I can't send her a file. Oh, I can send the same file to myself at job #1 and I can open it there no problem. I really think that the problem is on her end. That being said, she can send me a spreadsheet done on her computer and I can open it no problem. I need to be able to get the accounting spreadsheet to her to receive in payments though!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it does sound like its her PC for some reason
    not sure i can think of anything else to try
    other than - do you have other people with excel that you can ask to open as a test - if a few people can all open it - that maybe a stronger argument to get her PC checked out again

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Tell her to try opening Excel first then to use the file/open menu from within Excel to point to and open the file.
    See if that helps.

6. draceplace

draceplace

To add to etaf and Burnett's excellent recommendations.
    I would also send her a simple spreadsheet not generated by QuickBooks to isolate the issue. If she can open the simple one then there is something about the QB export causing her issue.

Worked on a QB project(5 years ago, stuff has changed) and ended up recommending the client buy (and they did purchase) the add on(s) from BigRed Consulting to smooth out the process. Don't remember exactly which add on or what the specific issue was, but it had to do with creating/manipulating the IIF, QBO, OFX, QIF file types that are native to QB. Seems there was a free trial and they had real support.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice