1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel files linked not updating automatically

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gambit21, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

This is for Microsoft Office Pro 2007
    I have a user that uses several Excel files which are linked together using formulas/pivot tables.
    The formulas are written correctly.
    The locations of the files are all together in one folder.
    The problem lies in the fact that the user opens one of the files and they see errors where the cells should be linked to the other Excel files
    Only when the person opens the other Excel files which are linked can the information get updated.
    The data will not update automatically even though the option for Automatic Workbook Calculation is selected.
    I have tried everything I could possibly think of as a help desk person to fix the problem.
    I have even tried it on my computer doing all of the same troubleshooting as I did on the user's computer with no success.
    We even created 2 Excel files with a lot less data in them and attempted to link the files together in the same way.
    When opening the one file by itself it does not update automatically and again it only updates when both test Excel files are open.
    Any ideas as to why this may not be working please let me know because I spent several days on this with the user.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG Gambit 21.
    Look in Trust Center, Trust Center Settings, External Content. There are settings in there that might be stopping you.

3. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

Both Enable all Data Connections and Enable automatic update for all Workbooks Links are selected

4. draceplace

draceplace

Wonder if the location of the spreadsheets has to be a 'trusted location'?

5. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

Well originally the linked files are on the user's one Network drive
    I ended up copying them to the desktop and they still would not automatically update
    So it does not really matter where they are located in that sense

6. draceplace

draceplace

Don't discount the power of MS trust. we recently had a development server that wouldn't exectute (signed) active X. Vendor said 'needs to be a trusted site'. Network dudes said its on the internal domain no need for that. Only when the server/site was individually added as trusted did it work. I have my C:\ as a trusted location.

I'm thinking this is a setting issue somewhere. I tries to link and in the background something is stopping it.

7. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

So as long as it is a trusted location you think it should work?

8. draceplace

draceplace

I would just go into the trust center and make it trusted location for the user and see if that works. Look at the Trusted Document setting while your in there.

9. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

Both location and documents are trusted but still no resolve on the auto updating

10. Gambit21

Gambit21 Thread Starter

If anyone can please help me I would appreciate that

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice