1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Files not saving and creating temp files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ophelia2009, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ophelia2009

ophelia2009 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am running Windows Vista and Excel from Office 2000. I have previously had no issues creating, editing and saving Excel files. I have recently started sharing files from my desktop which is running Windows Vista and Office 2007. However, the files that I am having issues with saving were initially created on the laptop where the issues are occuring. I can open the shared Excel files with no problem and make changes. When I save the files however, I get this message, "Your changes could not be saved to 'file name.xls but were saved to a temporary document named 'D6C73000'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name." I can open, edit and save changes made to Word documents in the same shared folder structure. Can anyone please explain why this is happening and what I can do to stop it?
    Thanks,
    Ophelia

2. ophelia2009

Hi,
    I have copied a folder from a usb stick to my desk top. I am running Vista and Office 2007. When I open an excel file and make changes to it, it appears to save ok but then when I reboot the machine the file disappears altogether!!!!! Finding this very frustrating grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr can anyone help???

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ophelia2009

As these issues seem to stem from the same problem, I have merged your two posts to this thread.
    We like to avoid duplicate posting here. :)

This is only occurring with Excel files?
    Word is unaffected?

4. ophelia2009

Yes this only occurs with Excel, Word is unaffected.

Ta

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

6. ophelia2009

no I am not sharing with AppleTalk. Just using the file sharing in windows itself. Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice