1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EXCEL - Filter Dates

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MCBride, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MCBride

MCBride Thread Starter

Working with Excel 2000 is there a way to filter dates?

Thanks for your help.

2. exegete

exegete

Howdy. Yes. But perhaps a little more information about what you are doing. This assumes that the cells are truly dates, and not text that look like dates.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

If you could post what you are working on, we could help you more with it.

4. exceled

exceled

I tried to filter the dates and was succesful. You have to format the dates first before you filter. If you want I could send you the sample I used.

5. Niefer

Niefer

It is possible even with "text dates".

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

It actually can be either easy or difficult, depending on what type of filtering you want to do. Since Excel stores dates as numbers (today, the 21st of June, 2007, is actually 39254 in text) you can't have a series of dates that are all, say, in the month of 06 and filter for that unless you work out the dates (e.g., all June 07 would be from 39234 to 39263).
    However, if they are actually text (Excel will change most input to dates, but something like 6*01*07 is read as text) you can filter using the custom commands "begins with" or "does not begin with"

7. exceled

exceled

What I found succesful is to make a new column. Date format this column and then use =DATEVALUE() to convert text dates into format dates. Filter from the new column as you be able to filter several dates as opposed to text dates which is limited.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice