Excel Filter function spill result

byoung7998

Good afternoon everyone. I am using the new Excel FILTER function, but am running into some troubles. It is taking a client table (contact name, company, email, phone, yada yada...) and producing 3 other separate tables via 3 separate FILTER functions, depending on the values stored in 3 columns. No problem.

The issue I'm having is if there is an empty cell in the original table, then it puts a "0" in the FILTER table (it does not leave that spill cell blank). I already know how to deal with this if the column(s) used for filtering are empty. But if the columns that will enter into the spill area of the result of the FILTER function are empty, then a zero is put in their place. For example, someone might not have an email address (does happen), so this cell is empty in the original table yet a zero is in the spill area of the FILTER function.

Any clues how to fix this? Thanks for reading, and thanks for any thoughts!

Chawbacon

Jack
Hello Byoung,

I have not been able to hop on in a while and saw that your question had not been answered. The missing criterion (e-mail address for example) in the original table should be what is causing the NULL return value in your Filter function. I don't have time to do a serious dive here; but, you should be able to use an IF statement combined with an ISBlank statement, within the Filter function to display a null value as a empty text string.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!