1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Financial Formula - Can't get it to do what I want and it should be sooo simple

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sobroken, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is unforgivably dumb but I don't use spreadsheets much and I just can't make it work.

I'm trying to make a home finances spreadsheet, where my first column is everything that comes in, and then I have five or six categorised columns for everything that goes out, ie bills, shopping, clothes etc.

What I would like is a nice neat formula that gives me a running total. So that would be yesterday's total+anything in today-anything out today. But the problem is that I have several "out" columns and I can't make it work when only one of them has a value. I have been using:

=SUM(L3;C4)-(D4:K4)

But I'm getting a !#VALUE! error with this, and even if I type the numbers of each individual negative cell, it will only subtract the first one. I know I can do this without typing each individual cell and without putting negative values in the cells.

Please help!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Would it be possible to see a sample sheet? Obviously you don't want to share all your financial data with the world, but if you could make two or three lines of sample data that can help to explain what you're trying to accomplish.

Without that if I've understood it correctly
    If L3 is the previous day's total
    C4 is today's income
    And D4:K4 encompasses today's expenditure

you could simply use the following in L4
    =L3+C4-Sum(D4:K4)

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi sobroken,
    I've been using this monthly budget spreadsheet for a while now.
    I've taken out real figures but you can have fixed income, variable expenses, and one-off expenses.It does all the maths for you. I found it on the web somewhere but can't recall where.
    Any use?

Richard.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice