1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Formula help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lee_1133, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to be able to get excel to return a total based on adjacent cells with the returned formula being the lowest number in the other cells.

i.e. cell A1 will display the lowest number of cells A2 to A20 which will all have different numbers

Is this possible? If so can someone give me the formula

thanks in advance

Lee_1133

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

=min(a2:a20)

3. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, very simple formula but I just could not find the info in excel's help files!

I have another issue with excel which I don't know if I am even handling the best way let alone help with the formula needed so I'll try and paint the picture...

I use excel to monitor sales through eBay
    I have created a spreadsheet that has formulas for final value fee p&p costs etc meaning all I have to do is put in my sell price, cost of item, cost of p&p and so on and then when I put my listings per week amount and a success ratio I get an accurate return value on what any one product is making per week/month/year.

But what I want to do I have one excel sheet duplicate information from the same cell in another sheet. I need this to be possible for Text as well as numbers etc...

Were I am stuck is I need to be able to add new rows in say sheet 1 that will automatically be add to sheet 2.

Is this possible? Am I even making any sense?

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    When you select multiple worksheets this is called "grouping" the sheets. you can then insert a row or column and it will insert it into all the sheets you have selected. This works for changing the color, typing text, etc. You can select multiple sheets by using CTRL to select non-adjacent ones, or by using SHIFT which means through.

5. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

Thanks,

Will that also mean if I say auto arange one sheet it will do the same to all sheets?

I am not sure how best to deal with monitoring our eBay sales.
    I'd love to have a spreadsheet that could track the success of my ebay items without being to hands on as I spend to much time with my spreadsheets and not enough time with my customers and suppliers.

Does anyone know of software, programs or sites that can help me?

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I think by autoarranging you are referring to what we call sorting in the US. From what I have tried out you cannot sort multiple sheets this way.

I might also add that you might want to look into MS Access to track all your sales and sales info.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Jimr, The pretty squirrels...??? LOL
    But, on topic, yes, I would suggest you look into Access also - you can do a lot more with a database via queries to do what it sounds like you are doing now with spreadsheets.

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Office Space ;)

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am bored as well, so I can help you setup an Access database if you like. ;) I love projects to keep me going throughout the day.

10. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

Any help is appreciated, although I am ok with excel I would love to use access if it will be better but i have never used the program before so i would be starting from the beginning.

I have office 2007 and currently use excel to work out what items are making money and what are not. The spreadsheet I have is ok but a lot of work and I need to be using this time with suppliers and customers as well as my listings.

If I am going to give access a try I think I should make sure it will save me time as well as be customisable enough to fit my needs.

example..

I have 100 products to sell each on a seperate row in excel with the columns used for p&p fees charges etc...
    Can this be done with access?
    I need to be able to track success ratios and have profit loss forcasts etc?

At the moment all I do is update the cost of products my suppliers charge and also copy the success ratio of a product into excel and it gives me an accurate profit/loss total per/week/month/year

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Access can do most of the calculations that Excel can (not always as clear how to do it, I will admit).
    But for what you are talking about, it should be fairly easy. Also, the two programs tie into one another neatly, so you can send data back and forth.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice