1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel formula

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mrindeed, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrindeed

mrindeed Thread Starter

Hi,

I am desgining a spreadsheet to calculate the cost of a process within our business.

This is how I would like the spreadsheet to function:
    I have a list of functions on the left, in column B. Accross the top I have the processes that are possible for any scenario. Next to the function if the user enters a X then along the same row under the relevant processes another X is entered.

I have done this using a simple IF formula. e.g. =IF(C10="x","Required","") and just copied this formula into the cells that will need to X. (Hope that makes sense!)

Each process, even if it is needed for more than one function, will only need to be carried out once. I am looking to find a formula that will go in a cell beneath the rows of processes and if "Required" is entered anywhere in that column then a cost is entered at the bottom.

Basically a formula to detect whether anywhere in a column the word "Required" appears and enter a figure at the bottom for what the process will cost.

I have tried using formulas like =IF(C10:C20="Required","80","") - meaning if reuqired appears in any of the cells from c10 up to c20 then enter a cost of 80. Also using OR statements but both without much luck.

If anyone actually managed to follow this and suggest ant ideas id be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  3. XL Guru

XL Guru

Couldn't follow it too much. :eek:

For "if required appears in any of the cells from c10 up to c20 then enter a cost of 80", try:

=IF(COUNTIF(C10:C20,"Required")>0,80,"")

HTH,
    Andy

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I think he's trying to make a "picklist", Andy. I've given him an alternative not to list everything, but to only list those items required on the order. Hopefully, that'll suffice. :)

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

Psychic powers ... fading ... ;)

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hmm, I had a different interpretation in mind. (Go figure, eh?! LOL!) What I'm thinking depends on your data structure. Could you zip/post a sample of your workbook?

7. mrindeed

mrindeed Thread Starter

Thank you for your replys.
    Below is the formula i was looking for :)

The spreadsheet is essentially a pick list i guess. Plant changes are listed on the left. If one of these changes is to be carried out, you enter a x next to it (my manager likes this system, lol) and the relevant departmental activities (listed accross the top) for that change are signified by a Required being entered under them.

Then at the bottom, if a required appears in any of the column the process cost is calculated and then after that the man hours and total cost.

Thanks again for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice