1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel formulas for analyzing the data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Shabby, Dec 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shabby

Shabby Thread Starter

First little back ground, that what I am trying to do here:
    We are using excel sheet to analyze our Lumber purchases. Now I want to develop Access database to enter all this information. I would like to use arrow down function to select the size and species of the lumber, but the problem is that if I do, I will end up with one column with all the species and sizes of the lumber as compare to right now they have 35 different columns in Excel.

My problem: These numbers are used to calculate some more stuff and they need to be copied over to different columns when analysis is done.
    For example: After interfacing my access database it will look like this:
    Lumber species | Qty | Amount
    4/4 #1 RO | 7603 | $3400
    4/4 #1 RO | 7603 | $3400
    4/4 #2 RO | 6000 | $2000
    4/4 #3 RO | 6000 | $1500
    Ash 4/4 #2 | 6000 | $3000
    Ash 4/4 #3 | 5000 | $2000

Now I want to create separate columns for each species and transfer qty and amount to these columns

The condition is that amount has to be transferred on each ROW not total for the month.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

I read that a few times and simply don't understand what you are trying to do. Maybe you can try explaining it again.

3. Shabby

Shabby Thread Starter

I was expecting that. I read it and I couldn't figure it out what I was saying [​IMG]

Ok let's try again.

I want to create a formula which will look up the column 1 (Lumber Species) and then copy over the column 3 (Amount) in Column 4 which will be named as 4/4 #1RO, In column 5 I will have named 4/4 #2 RO, and the formula will go see if the column 1 has 4/4 #2 RO if yes it will copy over the column 3 to that column other wise there will be nothing.

Thanks in advance

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Shabby, that is not proper data normalization. Why dontcha send me an email requesting the normalization.doc file I have. To briefly explain: You should be putting the stuff you want to put in column 4 under column 1. I assume your quantities will be changing, which will make each record different when you consider all three columns. Once you have built your table, you can use a query to select, for instance, all of the records of 4/4 #1 RO. The query will give you the information that you (think you) want in column 4. Let me know if you don't understand, feel free to email me your database if you run into any trouble, have a happy holiday, and all that!!

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

5. Shabby

Shabby Thread Starter

Email was sent on 12/20/00 with attachment of file. Thanks very much for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/38153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice