1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Excel: Formulas not calculating

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Koroshiya, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koroshiya

Koroshiya Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rob
    So, I'm sure I've got some sort of weird syntax issue going on, or something, but I banging my head against it trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Here are the formulas that are not calculating:

Code:
    =IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",E2=B2+C2-D2)
    If B2=5, C2=6 and D2=2, E2 returns 0. No matter what value is entered into any of those fields, the return is 0.

Code:
    =IF(B2="","",F2=B2\E2)
    Returns 0% no matter what values are entered. Tried a different conditional, but the issue persists.

The goal is to hide calculated fields until the manually inputted fields are populated, then calculate.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    CORECTED:

The second equal sign in your first formula and the third equal sign in your second formula are telling Excel to compare the value to the left of the equal sign to the value to the right of the sign. It returns a 1 (True) if they are equal, and 0 (False) if they are not equal. As far as I know, you cannot have an Excel formula change the value of a cell other than the cell that contains the formula.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Koroshiya likes this.
  3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If your first formula is in cell E2, change the formula to
    Code:
    =IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",B2+C2-D2)
    If your second formula is in cell F2, change the formula to
    Code:
    =IF(B2="","",B2\E2)

Koroshiya likes this.
  4. Koroshiya

Koroshiya Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rob
    Awesome, thank you! I think I understand how I got to using "Cell=Formula" and the information you gave me helped clear up the issue that was causing that. When I plugged your formula in, which I had been using originally, it returned "#Name?" After playing around a bit, I realized I messed up my syntax. Something as silly as the wrong slash for division. When I used "Cell=Formula" it returned a 0, so I assumed it was working until it was time to actually calculate the field.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome. We both missed the reverse slash the first time around.

Koroshiya likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice