1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel functions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tania12345, Apr 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tania12345

tania12345 Thread Starter

I would like to know if there is a way for excel to search a section or entire worksheet for amounts which add up to a specific amount.

For example, search worksheet to find amounts which total to 26,232.

I am using Excel 97 SR-2.

My life sure would be easier if excel can do this!!!

2. Dan O

Dan O

Sure, the Find (Ctrl+F) command using "Look in" with "Values" will do the trick.

Enjoy. Dan-O :)

3. tania12345

Dan O:

It didn't work? Is there any tick to how I need to enter the number.

What happened is, I tested the fuction by adding up two numbers on a particular spreadsheet and then searched for that sum. Hoping the two numbers I summed would be found. I got no matches!? I did change the "look in" to "values".

Did I miss something?

Thanks

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It sounds to me as though you want Excel to find a set of numbers like 26,000 and 232, or 24,000 and 2,232, am I right?

If I'm right, you won't be able to accomplish this without some pretty hefty VBA code, unless you have a very small amount of data.

To use the Find values command, as DanO is suggesting, you must know the value you are looking for. If, for instance, you have 2 in cell A1, and 3 in A2, and a sum function in cell A3: if you are looking to find the 2 and the 3, you will not locate them using the Find option.

If you have a formula that results in 26,232 and you're attempting to find the cells that the formula is based on, you can hit Tools-Auditing-Trace Dependents.

If I'm not understanding, perhaps you could explain it differently? Hope this helps.

5. tania12345

You are correct, I want excel to find numbers as you suggested (2,000 and 232, etc.). So, it sounds like there is no easy fix. Thank you for the info!

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well--don't give up too easily. Many times I find there is a solution by changing the way you are doing something, or even changing programs (maybe Access instead of Excel)rather than trying to beat a dead horse. Maybe you can tell us what you are trying to do, why you do it, how you have your data set up and anything else that you think is pertinent.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/36375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice