1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel functions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tim150891, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tim150891

tim150891 Thread Starter

I have a large list of values and I need to find the number of values that have a absolute difference of 3 from the value above them in the list. I do not know which fuction to use. Please help.

2. vinwin06

vinwin06

Can you please whether all the values are in same column or its in different column . could you please brief about this.

3. edhicks

edhicks

Tim
    Try this
    In column next to list of numbers, beside 2nd number
    Assuming column A contains list to be tested and list starts in A2 then enter into B3
    =if(A2-A1=3,"YES","-")
    COPY DOWN TO END OF LIST

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Actually, since the poster wants the absolute difference, alter edhicks formula to be:
    =IF(ABS(A2-A1)=3,"YES","-")
    or you could do it another way and have:
    =IF(OR(A2-A1=3,A2-A1=-3),"Yes","")

5. edhicks

edhicks

slurpee55
    You are probably correct but consider this.
    Does absolute difference of 3 mean difference must be positive three or did poster really mean and want the absolute value of difference to be three?
    To me absolute difference and absolute value of difference are two different concepts.
    Maybe original poster will clarify this for us.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Actually, I could interpret the first post to mean "count how many times in a list the value in a cell has a difference with an absolute value of 3 from the value in the cell above it."

But ed, I think someone who doesn't quite use "absolute value" correctly , if they use the terminology "absolute" probably means "absolute value." Still, that could have been avoided by saying +3 or -3.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice