1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel help requested

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pentiums4, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pentiums4

pentiums4 Thread Starter

Using a Compact deskpro, I am having a problem with the Excel program that is on my Office 97. Every other program in the Office 97 works great except Excel. It has been working great and now when I try to open it I get a message that says “This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down”. I did put the Office 97 disk in and choose the option of “reinstall files”. That did not work – I still get the same message. All help with this problem appreciated. Thanks.

2. amrkam

amrkam

This problem has largely disappeared since the introduction of windows XP and office XP and office 2003... I strongly recommend that you get windows XP and office 2003... and to put them remove the old windows and office first... better still format your drive to have it all clean...

however, if you still insist on keeping your configurations, then the solution is to remove the office all together.. uninstall it I mean.. then reinstall it all again.. of course after saving your data and all.. but re-intalling files without having removed the old office usualy doesn't solve this type of problems...

Have a nice day..

3. johnni

johnni

amrkam's answer seems to be an expensive one. I cannot provide an answer to the problem but would like to state that with my (old) Windows ME and using (old) Office 2000 (and before that Excel 5) I have never encountered that problem.
    It is too easy to blame old software! Maybe someone else can provide an easier answer.

johnni

4. djangojazz

djangojazz

Two things and on the first I honestly can't remember if it even has this option.

1. Did you try to run Excel in Safe mode? I know that when using office apps after 2001 a lot of them will run in safe mode. Unfortunately I forgot the setup to open up that way. Also if you are clicking from an icon or quicklaunch button it could be as simple as your icon having a bad path. Try launching Excel from the Start Menu>All Programs>MS Office>Excel or from the program directory C:>Program Files>Microsoft Office>Office11(this is for 2003 I'm sure 97 is probably something else)>Excel.exe. In the case of one single problem not working you are trying to troubleshoot why and sometimes a connection in a registry or working app that is shared is blocking an executable function.

2. Clean your temp files, it could be a temp install, txt, or shared file has been locked and is not allowing you access. In which case: Start>Run>%temp%(brings up temp application folder) delete everything you see. There is no danger in doing this in that a temp directory is always meant to be terminal for coming and going not storage of working apps. Also go to C:>Windows>Temp and clean that out too. In many cases in the past OS's shared dll files could lock up programs. If you have ME as your operating system I strongly recommend using any other OS in the world other than that. The internet is literred with how many people have complained about that OS and it's countless problems of instability in holding programs.

Basically I would just thoroughly clean your computer if the first option didn't work, clean temp files, run anit virus, adaware, etc., make sure that in addition to add remove program uninstall of Excel you can't find it lingering around in a search of your C drive.

Also I would agree if you have the money to go with XP and Office 2003, but if you don't I would try what I said.;)

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice