Excel - how do I do this (insert blank rows)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dlarryhancock

I have a workbook in which I have two worksheets.
The first worksheet has 3,400 rows of information
The second worksheet is meant to take that information and format it in such a way that I can then save that file in tab-delimited format in order to import that file into Quickbooks.

The second worksheet has to be formatted in a certain way, which means that there will be extra rows in the second worksheet.

Row 1 of worksheet 2 has other required information
Row 2 of worksheet 2 will draw information from Row 2 of worksheet 1
Row 3 of worksheet 2 has other required information
Row 4 of worksheet 2 has other required information
Row 5 of worksheet 2 will draw information from Row 3 of worksheet 1
Row 6 of worksheet 2 has other required information
Row 7 of worksheet 2 has other required information
Row 8 of worksheet 2 will draw information from Row 4 of worksheet 1

This makes it very difficult to write my formulas in worksheet 2 and copy those rows down, since when I copy a row down one row, the referencing changes by one row, whereas I need the referencing to change by THREE rows.

There are two possible solutions. One, which I do not like, is to figure out how to change the referencing in sheet 2 by THREE rows each time.

The solution I like, is to figure out a way to insert TWO BLANK ROWS (or two rows of ANYTHING) after each current row in Worksheet 1, so that when I create the rows in Worksheet two and copy them down, the referencing to every third row WILL give me the results I need.

So.... How can I take a worksheet and insert TWO BLANK ROWS after each currently existing row. (Or create a second worksheet in which every third row refers to the very next row of another worksheet)

Thanks for looking.

If I'm understanding your scenario correctly, I think one solution would be to use the QUOTIENT, MOD, and ROW functions to determine whether to output a transaction or blank row. So something like:
Code:
=IF(MOD(ROW(),3)=0, <insert whatever you need here, use QUOTIENT(ROW(),3) for row reference>, "")

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online