1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Hyperlink doesn't work

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dmcclure, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

I can't get a hyperlink I put in an Excel worksheet to open a Publisher file. If I point the hyperlink to another types of files (e.g., Excel, or Word, or jpg file) it works fine. But if I try to point the link to a Publisher file I get the message that "...some files contain viruses ... blah blah... Do you want to open the file?" I click OK then get the error message "Publisher cannot find the file you specified. The next dialog box will let you browse to locate the file....." Then I locate the file, click OK, and it opens. Same path and filename. I've pointed Publisher files all over my computer with the same results.

Any ideas???

Don

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ok. I made a test pub file.

I created hyperlink.

I get the same message you do, but it then opens right up.

Are your publisher files associated with the correct Publisher program?

Do you know how to set a file association? I would double-check it just to be sure.

Meanwhile, never hurts to clean up your PC in case some temp file is getting in the way: www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm and then maybe try running detect and repair on Excel.

If that doesn't work, try troubleshooting Excel at www.theofficeexperts.com/excel.htm

Let us know, Don. :)

3. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. The association is correct. I put this same question on the Office Experts forum. I normally keep my computer cleaned up.

Regards,

Don

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice