1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel ignoring all formulas

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lilith183672, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lilith183672

Lilith183672 Thread Starter

I created a great set of spreadsheets with formulas that were working perfectly. Now, when I enter data, the cell ignores the formula and nothing happens. This is true of all the sheets in the book. Help!!!!

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Can you please post the file so I can take a look at it?

3. OBP

OBP

Jimr, sounds like Auto Calculation has been turned off.

4. notageek104

notageek104

I'm having same problem. Using Excel 2003 in WinXP environment. Simple spreadsheet with columns SUM at the top of the sheet. I noticed today when I added a value in one of the columns, the SUM didn't update. So I checked all my formats, and they're all for number, with two digits after decimal. When I re-entered the formula, the result reverted to zero, in spite of numerous numerical entries in the column. Need help -- this is how I do my billing!

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    notageek please post your file for me as well. To the OP or original poster. Try hitting F9 like OBP was stating and see if it recalculates the functions. If so you do indeed have autocalculate turned off. You can change the settings for Autocalculate from accessing "Tools">>"Options">> "Calculation" sheet tab from the menu bar. In this tab you will see an option button that says "Automatic." Make sure that this is selected.

6. notageek104

notageek104

I have uploaded the file. Autocalculate was turned on. F9 didn't affect it.

Attached Files:

7. Lilith183672

Lilith183672 Thread Starter

Yes That Was The Problem
    Thank So Much!!!

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    notageek your sheet recalculated automatically for myself. Since you have already verified that Autocalculate is turned on, can you try doing a "detect and repair from "help" on your menu bar?

9. notageek104

notageek104

I did a detect and repair and nothing changed. Also, I tried evaluating the formula, and it shows zero also. However, when I go into a column and select a range of cells, the status bar in the lower right shows the correct sum for the range of cells selected.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

notageek, it works fine for me also. If this is the only spreadsheet that is giving you problems, try this: Go to Edit, Move or Copy Sheet, click Create a Copy, and go the top and move it to a new book.

11. notageek104

notageek104

I have a whole series of spreadsheets in the workbook -- I moved this one out to a new, blank book. The problem remained the same. The problem is also affecting other spreadsheets in the workbook. It was all working fine until today! If the sheet is working on two other systems, then I must have a system problem, right?

12. notageek104

notageek104

Well, I rebooted and now the spreadsheet is working properly. Gremlins. Sigh.

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

Welcome to the world of Microsoft!!!
    Please go to the top of the page to the thread tools and mark this as solved.
    See you around ;)

14. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    notageek do you restart or shutdown your PC everynight before you go home?

15. notageek104

notageek104

Yes, I shut down every night. The problem started this morning when I turned the computer on for the first time today

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice