1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel investment workbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Justdan, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justdan

Justdan Thread Starter

I created an Excel workbook to monitor my investments. One of the work sheets contains a long column of currency values from an annuity investment with each row showing daily values.

Presently, I manually copy the daily value of that investment and paste it into worksheet # 2 that contains all of my investments. Worksheet # 2 daily refreshes, updates and totals all investments.

My question is this: is there a formula that would automatically copy and paste the daily annuity values from worksheet # 1 into worksheet # 2 without having to manually copy and paste? If so, could you please guide me through the steps to accomplish this?

Many thanks for your prompt attention and cooperation.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4028 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 414208 MB; D: Total - 114439 MB, Free - 21161 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG43GT
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

<edited by moderator (etaf) to reduce font size - not required default forum font size is adequate >

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have removed all the formatting - the default font is fine for this forum, and only need changing for any emphasis

3. Justdan

Justdan Thread Starter

Etan...

Please note that your reply is not at all related to my post regarding "Excel Investment workbook".

Justdan

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Did you at least read what the moderator wrote?
    You forgot to mention which version of Excel you're using and a smaal sample with dummy data will help paint the picture, "a long column of currecy values..." doesn't tell me which column and also doesn't tell me wheer inb worksheet #2 you need it.

5. Justdan

Justdan Thread Starter

I posted a previous question on 2/12/12 regarding an Excel investment Workbook, and at this time I would like to modify my question:

Cells A3:A100 have sequential dates with the current date in A3.
    Cells B3:B100 show daily interest increases.
    Cells C3:C100 all contain currency values from an annuity investment.

The value of C3 is the sum of C2+B3.

What is the formula to put in another cell on that worksheet that will calculate the current value of C at the current date (=today()???

If it is possible to do this, I can then copy that value &#8220;paste special&#8221; into another worksheet, which is my objective.

Hope you can help.

Justdan

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    The formula would be

Code:
    =VLOOKUP(TODAY(),A:B,2,FALSE)

A:A is the column with the dates
    If the date is not in the column you will get the value #N/A, if you set it to TRUE it will return the first lowest value it finds
    If you want to test if the date is present then you will have to add a ISNA test

Code:
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(TODAY(),A:B,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(TODAY(),A:B,2,FALSE))

The "" can be replaced by a number or whatever you need to do in case the date is not found.

The ,2, is the column which you want returnd, in this case Column B value

7. Justdan

Justdan Thread Starter

Thanks Keebellah ..... you've solved my problem. All I needed was the right formula!

By the way, can you tell me where I can learn more about using Excel formulas?

Thanks again for your help.

Justdan

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    My school: Trial and Error and Google ...

of coures is TSG the place to be vor ALL your answers :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice