1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel is crashing system and its functions fail

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Abow905, Dec 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abow905

Abow905 Thread Starter

I have a compaq laptop AMD K6 3d 300 mhz, 32 meg ram, Win 98, MS office 97 pro. Sysinfo shows running at 80 to 82 %. Several probs: 1) attempt to replace borders on cells that have been moved or pasted does not work. the function in the tool bar is ignored by the system. the border function is not highlighted in the pull down menu.

2) making changes to sheets or creating new sheets cause the system to generate an error message and close down the program.

EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in
    module EXCEL.EXE at 015f:3009aa90.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=3009aa90 EFLGS=00010246
    EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=0062c638 EBP=0062c848
    ECX=00000adc DS=0167 ESI=0062cd9c FS=122f
    EDX=0000d000 ES=0167 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    0f b7 58 02 83 7d 0c 00 0f 85 92 de 0e 00 c7 45
    Stack dump:
    00000000 0062cd9c 00000000 00000000 00000036 0062c680 815b4680 00407854 c1570770 0062c680 bff7a0fe bff7b317 00400000 00000000 0062ca4c 00407858

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Excel.

Any help is greatly appreciated

[email protected]

2. cfreyman

cfreyman

I am assuming u used "add/remove programs" to do the uninstall. If not do so. The only other thing that i would recommend is to reinstall windows then install the software again. Sounds like a bad way to go but im afraid that might be the only way to go.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Unlike cfreyman, I don't believe you need to reinstall anything. Before you troubleshoot anything for any reason, make sure you're following the steps under Periodic Hard Drive Maintenance in TSG's newsletter so can rule out memory/resources issues and temporary files run amok. Also empty your C:\windows\temp folder before running scandisk and defrag as outlined in those steps.

Then, if you tell me Excel still has a problem, we'll make a registry edit.

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

4. Abow905

Abow905 Thread Starter

Dreamboat et. al.:

Thank you all very much for being there for me! I am truly grateful for your help.

Performed Windows maintenance procedure as recommended by Dreamboat. Checked for viruses.

I do not own copies of Win98 on disk. Tried to locate them to reinstall from restore or Cab files. No success. In fact, I launched one of these files in the system save D: and it proceeded to format a: with my client files (of course this disk was not backed up.) Therefore, anyone that can help recover data from a floppy that has been the victim of an attempted format will be appreciated. Back to first challenge, Excel still causes crash. What do I do next?????

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Floppy: Can't help, sorry.

Excel: Hit Start-Run and type:

excel.exe /regserver

and hit enter. If no good, answer these questions:

Office 97 SR?
    Just this file or any Excel file?

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench

6. Abow905

Abow905 Thread Starter

Dreamboat:

Followed instructions on running excel.exe /regserver. The hourglass appeared for about a minute and nothing else happened.
    I did this twice with the same results.

I do not understand questions about Office 97 SR? Just this file or any Excel file? Excel seems to be the only program with problems.

Thanks,

Andy

7. Abow905

Abow905 Thread Starter

I know it is the holiday season and I hope everyone is having a wonderful life. However, have I exhausted you as a resource?

Andy

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry, abow, no. I just get busy sometimes.

Open Excel and hit Help and then hit About. What does it say about Excel? Microsoft Excel 97 or does it also say SR-1 or SR-2 directly behind that?

This file or any Excel file? What I mean by this question is that we need to know if it is just one Excel file that gives you errors or does this happen when you try to put borders in a brand new Excel file?

You do NOT reinstall Office with the Win98 disks. You reinstall it from Office disks.

Nothing will happen when you run excel.exe /regserver, but it should attempt to fix Excel, and then you launch Excel again and see if you still have problems.

If you cannot understand the above information, you may need to get a friend who is more computer-literate to take a look at our posts here and help you out.

I don't think we're exhausted as a resource; I think that you don't have a sufficient understanding of the information we need to help. No offense, please. Just being straightforward with you.

Have a great holiday and don't hesitate to reply!

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench

9. Abow905

Abow905 Thread Starter

Dreamboat:

About Excel indicates SR-1.

The crash problem started with one file not allowing cell outlining. Then progressed to any attempt to modify a new spreadsheet crashses the program.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Excel twice from the Office 97 Professional CD.

Ran the excel.exe /regserver twice. The problem persists.

I just do not have Windows on CD.

I am very grateful for your patience with me and your assistance. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Andy

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Andy, don't confuse Windows with Office. You probably do not have a problem with Windows, so you don't need the CD.

I assume that you do NOT have the Office CD and would like it if you did not have to reinstll it.

I'm going to give you some instructions. If you can not follow them EXACTLY, do not do it at all. Give the directions to a friend who can follow them and let them help you.

Here they are:

Restart your computer and do NOT open any programs.

Hit Start and then hit Run. In the box that comes up, type:

regedit

and hit enter. You are in your registry--don't mess around in here, no eating ice cream while you're in here, no playing hide and seek! (hee hee)

As if you were using Windows Explorer, browse to the following folder:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\8.0\excel

If you're in the right place, you should be able to look at the gray bar at the bottom of your registry editor window and see exactly what I've typed above.

Click once on that Excel folder. Now, right-click that Excel folder and left-click on Rename. Type OldExcel and hit enter.

Use the X to close the registry editor window.

Launch Excel.

If this doesn't work, I suspect you'll need a complete uninstall (using Eraser97) and reinstall (which means you'll need the install CDs) of Office 97 and there will be no way out of it.

Hope this works, cross your fingers!

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/38160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice