Excel Last Saved by in Properties

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andrewg

OK...here goes. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a function within excel that will capture and display within a cell the "last saved by" users name within the excel properties/statistics display.

To word it a different way...When a person goes to file/prperties/statistics there is a field displayed called "last saved by" this filed displays a user name. I am wondering if ther is a way to capture that info directly into a cell in the spreadsheet using a function, I realise that I could just use a macro but I was wondering if there was already a function...

Thanks,
Andrew

I am using Excel 2000, and searched in the help for something like this. Dreamboat should be able to tell you more, but I did find some useful tips for this type of thing.
These are the topic headers in Help:

View workbook changes made by other users

View workbook changes for a particular date, user, or range of cells

View the history of all changes to a workbook

Here are the details for the second one I posted:

View workbook changes for a particular date, user, or range of cells
On the Tools menu, point to Track Changes, and then click Highlight Changes.
Show Me

Make sure the Track changes while editing check box is selected. This check box turns on workbook sharing and the change history.
If the Track changes while editing check box is not selected, Microsoft Excel has not saved any changes for you to view.

Under Highlight which changes, select the types of changes you want to see. You must select at least one of the following:
To view changes entered since a specific date, select the When check box, click Since date in the When box, and then type a date in the When box. To view changes from the time when the change history was turned on, click All in the When box.

To view changes made by a specific user, select the Who check box, and then click a user in the Who box.

To view all changes to a specific range of cells, select the Where check box, and then enter a range reference in the Where box, or select a range on the worksheet. To view changes to the entire workbook, clear the Where check box.

To view the changes highlighted on the worksheet and display details when you rest the pointer over a changed cell, select the Highlight changes on screen check box.
To view the details about changes on a separate History worksheet, select the List changes on a new sheet check box.

Click OK, and if prompted, save the workbook.
Notes

The List changes on a new sheet check box becomes available only after the workbook has been saved with the Track changes while editing check box selected.

If you save the workbook, Excel removes the History worksheet. To view the History worksheet after you save, you must repeat steps 1 through 5.

Anne Troy

Anne
(thanks, buddy)

I felt obligated to find out how.
Unfortunately, this requires code, which will prompt the person opening the file that they must enable macros. If they don't, this won't work.

Here's the custom function that needs to go into a new module in the VBE window of the file:

Function LstSvBy() As Variant
Application.Volatile
LstSvBy = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(7)
End Function

Then, in the cell where you want the last saved by name to appear, you put:

=lstsvby()

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.