1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel links won't work with IE8

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DebElk, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebElk

DebElk Thread Starter

Hello!

I have hyperlinks to external web pages in some of my MS Excel 2003 files, which have worked fine for years. After installing Internet Explorer 8, I get the error "An unexpected error has occurred" on clicking these links. Newly created external links also do not work. Links to local files still work.

I have discovered that if IE is already open (to any website) the links will work.

I haven't found any settings in IE that might prevent the link from working. Nor have I found anything relevant in IE8 Help or in the MS Knowledge Base. FYI, my OS is Win XP Pro.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help you can provide!
    :confused:
    Deb

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Have you tried to edit and refresh the links?
    If you have a new link, does this one work?
    Then I think it's a question of running through all the links en 're-link' them
    I really don't have a clue, and, my 'old' links worked when I opened my sheets on a new computer.
    The idea just popped up: is this s new system with IE8 or is it the same system but you updated from IEx to IE8?
    Maybe Excel stores something somewhere and now it cannot find IExplorer?
    I hope this gives you some ideas

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Sorry, It regsitered that new links don't work either.
    Maybe a repair of the Office installation? Just to put the bits and bytes in the right place?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice