1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel- Macro-Allocate pattern to cell and change the pattern color

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by philtrick, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philtrick

philtrick Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying (via a macro) to allocate a patten to a cell and also change the color excel uses on the pattern. By default it uses black.

I already have a macro that conditionally changes the background color of the cell. Problem is that when I print out on my cheap paper the colors bleed i.e. the black text bleeds into the yellow background. Therefore I want to use a pattern color to highlight the cells which uses less ink, therefore less color bleed!!

I have a quick workaround- print it draft all the time :) I want a nicer solution.

Thanks Phil

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Phil, a word of advice. Don't try to program Excel to overcome an inefficiency of other hardware, namely your printer. You're going to be fighting a losing battle.

Easiest solutions?
    1) Print in Draft mode
    2) Get a new printer

I know it sounds daft, but those are your best bets.

3. philtrick

philtrick Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
    a-The printer is virtually new
    b-I'm doing lots of copies for a charity that's why I'm using cheapo paper :)

I started experimenting using the macro recorder then decoding the VB it produces. Hopefully I'll find the answer.

Phil

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

That is a good way to start. If you continue along that path and come across something you need additional help with, post it and we'll help you as best we can.

There's almost nothing you can't do, but most things you wouldn't do. Strange but true. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/409479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice