1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Macro runs fine..then excel crashes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by windpowerfinance, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windpowerfinance

windpowerfinance Thread Starter

Hi, I have created an excel macro that runs sensitivities in my model. The excel button runs 5 different cases.

The macro runs fine and does as I want it to.

Once the macro has run, and I go to edit a cell and hit "F2" excel crashes. This only seems to happen in certain cells and not all of the time.

Does anyone have experience with similar questions?

Thanks

2. Brent-PCGuy

Brent-PCGuy

I have never encountered this problem.
    Suggestions:
    1) before hitting the F2 key, try saving the spreadsheet to see if that still works
    2) break the macro into 5 different small macros that do each case--see if only 1 causes the crash
    3) try the same spreadsheet and macros on a DIFFERENT computer. If you have faulty memory in your computer, that only gets used when you employ the macro then it should show it
    4) save another copy of spreadsheet for trial purposes--delete as much data as you can, in increments, to see if there is a point where Excel does not crash
    5) make sure that you have all the updates for Excel from MS and that you OS is updated with all patches
    If you want I could try the macros on my PC. You could take out all propriety info.

3. windpowerfinance

Hi, I was able to figure out that it is the indiviudal MACRO that runs solver. The code is below. Do you see any Errors? I have tried it on different computers and it still crashes. I will try some of your other fixes.

Thanks so much for the help!
    Code:

Sub solvePPA()
    '
    ' solvePPA Macro
    '

'   SolverReset
        SolverOk SetCell:="$AH$4", MaxMinVal:=3, ValueOf:="0", ByChange:="$M$8"
        SolverSolve userFinish:=True
    End Sub
    Sub NCF()

4. windpowerfinance

So I tried what you suggested.

-On a different computer with XP not Vista, Still crashes

-Tried saving the file after running the Macro, it crashes if it is saved with the same name, if you save as a new name it does not crash until you run the Macro again.

- I tried waiting for 5 min after running the Macro, still crashes.

- I tried writing a new solver Macro in the work book, something simple like make 1+ a number = 2. This worked fine. When I deleted my the Solver Macro giving me problems and re reordered it still crashes.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks again for your help!

5. windpowerfinance

Further analysis has found out that it is not a Macro problem at all. It is whenever I run solver to solve for a particular cell by changing another specific cell.

I do not understand why the solver works perfectly, but then when you hit "F2" the file crashes.

It does this on any computer as well.

I am extremely thankful for any thoughts or suggestions.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Brent - it is the practice here never to actually write out your email unless you do so in a form like how I have altered yours here, for there are many, many bots out there trolling for email addresses.
    Please go back and edit your post to fix this.

7. Brent-PCGuy

Brent-PCGuy

Have you tried using the solver on another similar problem? Try using cell references that are different too.

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

9. Brent-PCGuy

Brent-PCGuy

Did you try to uninstall the solver and reinstall it?

10. windpowerfinance

Yes I tired uninstalling and reinstalling the Solver program. I am at a loss. The model is not that complicated and only makes up 500 rows of calcs. I have to imagine excel 2007 is set up to handle much more complicated things.

This is real frustrating as I am trying to build a sensitivity box that folks in the company can just click a button and have it run a few different cases.

Is there another way to "solve" aside from using solver? Goal seek does not get the numbers exact but I guess I could use it if there is no other way!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice