1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Margins

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Azurulean, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

I would appreciate any help with this problem in Excel.

I recently upgraded to a new Windows 8 computer and am using a trial version of Office 2010. As far as I can tell, it has no limitations in terms of functions. However, when I view a spreadsheet that I had created a few months ago in Print Preview, it no longer fits onto one page as it did before. The margins/zoom/fonts/etc. are all the same as when it was created, and I am viewing it with the same printer (Microsoft XPS Document Writer). The spreadsheet was created on a computer with Vista and Windows 2010. I have no printer that I can print to to see if it does in fact fit, but when I save it as a PDF and open it with Adobe Reader, it appears as it did in print preview where the right and/or bottom sides are cut off.

When I tried it on other machines:
    1. Windows Vista & Office 2010 - Fits onto one page
    2. Windows 7 & Office 2007 - Fits onto one page
    3. Windows 7 & Office 2010 - Fits onto one page
    4. Windows XP & Office 2003 - Fits onto one page

I have also tried installing a trial version of Office 2007 onto my computer (Win 8), but it still appeared as it did with Office 2010. I cannot understand what the problem is since the only difference I know of between all the computers I tried and mine's is the operating system. I have not been able to test the file on any other computers with Windows 8. Also, I don't believe it has to do with the specific file since this issue applies to all of my excel files.

Please help and thank you in advance.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

Have you tried going to the page layout tabs and resize the spreadsheet there?

3. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

I can resize it so that it fits onto one page on my computer, but then it appears off on other computers. I don't want to have to resize every spreadsheet I have just so that it appears properly on my computer, or have two versions of each of my files. It doesn't make sense why this is happening either.

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

This seems to be a problem with windows 8. An option for you would be having two versions of the file, one for Win8 and another for the others. But this could be a mess. So, another option would be having another OS installed as a virtual machine such as Windows XP, and install on there Office 2007. Not probably the real solution for this, but it could be an option that works.

Moreover, you could get a lot of incompatibly issues with windows 8 so having another OS installed in a virtual machine as backup would be a good idea to step out of any problem may present.

5. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

If it is to do with the operating system, then I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thank you for your suggestion though - it is definitely an option to consider although I would prefer a true solution to this if there is one.

6. ATRITPutz

ATRITPutz

I am running Win8, and everyone else in my company runs either XP or 7. We have not had this issue when I send or receive Excel workbooks, but I am wondering - if you save the file as an earlier version and then close and re-open the copy, do you have the same problem?

7. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

I don't think the .xlsx format is affected between Office 2007/2010 or Win7/8. I did try saving it as .xls, but I still have the same problem.

8. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

A possible solution may be to Add a new XPS printer. The process of adding will let you know the XPS driver is installed, and ask if you want to replace it. This way is a bit cleaner than deleting the existing printer and finding the XPS driver is not available to replace the existing one. Other versions of office, whatever, will not update this driver, it belongs to the OS. Honestly, I would rate this as 50-50 chance, but it will cause no damage if it does not work.

9. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

I have just tried 20_2_Many's solution... unfortunately, the problem persists.

10. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

50-50 at best. sorry it did not help. I'll keep thinkin and lookin, thanks for trying.

11. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

No, thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

12. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Still looking and playing. Wondering, when you look at this in print preview, hold CTRL + spin your mouse wheel. What now?

13. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

It zooms in and out.

14. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Why, yes it does. Does it affect when you print to the doc writer? It should not, but it might, and if it does it may point toward the problem.

15. Azurulean

Azurulean Thread Starter

It makes no difference.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice