1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - merge 2 sheets using a common column

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by memphiszen, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. memphiszen

memphiszen Thread Starter

Hi all - I need to take 2 different worksheets that have different data, but have one column in common (for ex - serial #) and merge the two in a new worksheet. Any ideas how to do this easily?

2. jimr381

jimr381

You will want to look into the Vlookup function. It allows you to lookup and match a field and display data from the corresponding row.

3. Aj_old

Aj_old

Like Jimr said it can be done using Vlookup function, also it can be done by a macro!

On both sheets for one particular serial # you have only one se of data, or you can have multiple instances of the same serial # (or what ever is the the same for both sheets)?

4. memphiszen

memphiszen Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've used VLOOKUP before, but it's been a few years. The macro idea sounds possible. Using my example, there would be one sheet, Sheet1, with Serial #, and multiple other columns of data, let's say color, weight, other features. Sheet2 would have the serial# column as well, but the rest of the columns are different, example price, tax, and others. I need to merge the two into one sheet, combining all columns other than serial #. The serial # just needs to appear once on the new sheet. Does this help? Thanks.

5. Aj_old

Aj_old

You did not said if one serial is only once on both sheets?
    If so it's easy, but if not then tell us on which sheet it can be found more that once!

6. jimr381

jimr381

If it matches up in a one to one relationship you would want to just do multiple Vlookups. There is no reason to do a macro if you do not have to. I am trying to follow the KISS philosophy here.

7. Aj_old

Aj_old

Please upload an example sheet with some dummy data

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740043