1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel mistaking VBA macro name as an invalid range name

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ItsAllTooHard, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsAllTooHard

ItsAllTooHard Thread Starter

Hi All,
    first post here so hopefully you can understand my words / writing style.
    I recently saved an old 2003 xls workbook as a 2010 xlsm workbook and excel fried it. All named ranges were deleted, page formats were totally lost so I went back to the original and tried again with a new save, this one got fried too but my named ranges were intact but my vba code was mostly deleted. I manually reformatted the column and row heights and copied the vba code from each page of the xls workbook and pasted them into the new xlsm workbook and with a few exceptions everything seemed OK until I tried to save the new workbook. Now I get :
    '"The name AddGearToKit(10), either conflicts with a valid range reference or is invalid for Excel. This name has been replaced with _AddGearToKit_10"
    I am not new to excel and I recognised the 'name' as a subroutine name I have assigned to some buttons with a parameter passed through ie the (10). The buttons perform as expected, and I have searched my named ranges and there is nothing even similar in there. I use a 10 minutes auto save so this series of messages (there are 24 consecutive warnings that popup and allowing excel to 'rename' them does nothing, there are still no named ranges even vaguely like that and the warnings popup every 10 minutes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice