1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Month and Year

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cknowles, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cknowles

cknowles Thread Starter

I'm trying to figure out how to display the current month and year but the day would always be the first. So for an example today's date is 1/24/2011, but I would want it to display 1/1/2011. This would be true on all the months through the year.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Surely that's a typo. You want 1/24/2011 to display as 1/1/2011? Or is it as 24/1/2011. ;)

As I understand it, Excel takes the default from your system format but this can be overridden. If you want to make the change everywhere look at changing the date format in your own regional settings. If you want to do it specifically in one Excel workbook, you'll need to use the format cells dialogue to change the formatting.

PS For the future, it's much easier for us to help people if they provide a lot of information. Things like the version of Office and the version of Windows mean that we can give precise instructions on how to do things rather than vague ones about what to do.

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    ... or write a macro that translates it to the desired output.

Personally I always display the date as yyyy-mm-dd .

In this way column when sorted as ascending is ascending, that's the problem with the different regional setting d/m/y m/d/y etc.

yyyymmdd is always the same

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice