1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel multiple cell subtraction

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HeroicAge, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HeroicAge

HeroicAge Thread Starter

I've uploaded a test file for you to look at.

If you look at the file you will notice I have cell C17 as a totals cell for C4:C16. I would like to have an additional cell F17 to show me the remaining balance to be paid. But I need this to lower based on an x in a D cell by the corresponding C cells value.

So basically F17 should show 626 to start. An "x" in D5 lowers the amount by C5's value which is 191 making F17's value 435. Adding another "x" in D6 would lower it by an additional 96 making the value 339. So on and so forth.

I hope I explained that well enough. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. XCubed

XCubed

Hi
    See if this does the trick ...

=SUM(C4:C16)-SUMIF($D$4:$D$16,"x",$C$4:$C$16)

or just

=SUMIF($D$4:$D$16,"",$C$4:$C$16)

3. HeroicAge

HeroicAge Thread Starter

=SUM(C4:C16)-SUMIF($D$4:$D$16,"x",$C$4:$C$16) works great for me. The other one worked also, but with this one I'll be able to keep a running total over several months easier I think. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1106315