1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Nightmare - Please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by samantha777, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samantha777

samantha777 Thread Starter

I started working on a excel spreadsheet that was attached to an email but I hadnt "saved attachment" before I started doing this . When I finished I saved and shut down and now I cannot find it!!!!

If I click on the attachment in the email it brings up the name of the spreadsheet I want but it has a (2) after the title and none of the information.

I had entered lots of information that had taken me all day to do PLEASE,PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank-you in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The files are ususally in your temp folder on the C drive when you are working on them from an email. Go to Start > Search > For Files and Folders, in the "search for files or folders named" enter *.xls and in the look in pulldown select your C drive. You might be able to find it this way.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

But, sorry to say, you probably won't be successful, and I really hope I am wrong.

Just like Rockn said, when you work on files attached to an email, and you are opening that attachment from that email, the file you are working on is placed in a "Temp" folder that your mail-tool (like Outlook, or could be others) is aware of. When you then close that email, you probably do not see a "save edits" warning. And even if you do, the edits will probably be saved in that Temp location... a very temporary location. One that probably got munged after you closed your mail-tool.

(Note: not all mail-tools handle attachments this way, but it sounds like yours does.)

When I was supporting an organization locally I used to see a lot of those very same actions done by many people who should have known better, and they also lost lots of time and effort doing exactly as you have done. I tried umpteen times, oh so many times, to get them to realize that you should copy out attachments and work on the files removed from the email. I only saw limited success. Some people "get it" and some people don't. I hope you now "get it."

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

The other thing you can try is to open an attachment from an email and choose File/Save As. Look at the location that it wants to save the file to. That's the default location for your email temp folder. After you see what the location is (in Outlook it's buried several subfolders deep) you can navigate to that folder from Windows Explorer and see if the file is there. I've had limited success with that even when a search didn't turn up the file. But as Chuck said, saving the attachments out is really the only answer.

5. mauipono

mauipono

I too have seen a lot of this error, where a co-worker will lose work done because they opened an email attachment and didn't save it to their mydocs folder. It saves in the temp folder, then they lose it when they restart their pc. Yet I've sent out emails telling them what to do, but they forget or something. Does anyone know where to submit a suggestion to microsoft regarding this issue? I tried their contact page, but in order to submit an email, I'd have to pay $35. When numerous people all over the world are having this problem, they really should fix it so that users can't save an attachment into their temp folder.

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

Fair point to a degree, but it ignores the fact that the mail client in question may not be a Microsoft product. Thunderbird (Mozilla) works the exact same way. Maybe there's some other mail client out there that displays an alert when doing a "direct" file open. (?)

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

I agree with Andy. Generally when you double click on an attachment (at least in Outlook, it's been a while since I used Thunderbird) you have the option to Save or Open (or Cancel). I think it just comes down to an understanding of how it works. Rockin, ChuckE and WendyM have shed a lot of light on the issue. It's just a shift in paradigm and practices. :)

8. CMarriott

CMarriott

have you tried to do a Search for the file name on your C drive?
    thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice