1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - Not enough memory ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kabe, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kabe

kabe Thread Starter

I'm loading a 60Mb workbook and receiving the Excel message "Not enough memory". I presume this is due to a limit within Excel as I have more than 750Mb of memory.

The workbook does load, but is very slow to update. Is there any way I can tweak Excel, or W2000 so that more memory is available.

A gif of my System Info is attached.

Keith

Attached Files:

2. RandyG

RandyG

It could be a number of things depending on what is contained within the spreadsheet, but the most common reason for this is that you have your Paging File set too low.

That would not seem to tbe the case with 2 GB allotted on your machine.

Can you provide more info about the workbook? Does it contain pivottables, graphs, array formulas? anything more?

3. kabe

kabe Thread Starter

Thank you for the offer of help Randy.

There are no pivot tables, graphs or array formulas.

There are 52 pages, most containing 1000 rows and several of them have columns populated out to "GC".

The pages contain either raw data or calculations - all of which are summarized on the first sheet.

Some of the data is updated in real time from the internet (stock prices), but the problem arises even when auto-recalculation is off.

Hope this proves helpful.

Keith

4. RandyG

RandyG

Well, this article covers copying formulas over large areas, but it also states
    I'm thinking you may just be at the upper limit for a workbook.

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Nose around a bit in this site for some tips on optimizing speed in large spreadsheets. Check out the EXCEL PAGES section on the left.

- Castleheart

:cool:

6. woderwick66

woderwick66

Dear Kabe,
    You are not alone in finding memory short on Excel, despite more than generous system components.
    I didn't check your operating system but in the help menu you should expect to find the opportunity to review memory usage on screen, while operating within a program.
    I take it that you are defragmenting your hard disk often enough and are aware that defragmentation does not resolve the page file. There is a no charge program available on the net "Page Defrag" which resolves this problem. One of the options is to defragment the page file on every boot.
    There are other reasons for memory to be shown as short on in Excel so this is not to diminish the advise you are already receiving.
    Please disregard if you are already aware of the above. It's just that I have a habit of asking stupid questions and expect that other people do too!!!
    Regards Guy.

7. kabe

kabe Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, but I still have the problem and assume that this monster spreadsheet is up against the stops.

Someone suggested that Excel 2002 may solve the problem so I'm going down that route.

Keith

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice