Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excel Page Numbering (no, not the way you are thinking)

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Keebellah 
#1 ·
Mornin' all....

Before we begin, I truly know all about page numbering in Excel. So I do not need any instructions about the usual way to do it. Got that down, 100%. Been doing it correctly for years.

At my job I do statistical data modeling. I end up writing a memo for the non-math people to explain the results of my work. The memo might be 2-5 pages depending on the complexity of the results. That means my Excel spreadsheet will begin with numbering one page beyond the ending page of the memo. No big deal. I just go to the starting Excel sheet, change the page properties to reflect the starting page number, then all successive pages have "auto" as the page number. So when I select whatever random collection of tabs they all number properly. Done.

My issue is sometimes the starting Excel page might be one tab, and some other times it might be another tab. I would like to be able to have a cell within one of the two possible starting pages contain the word "auto" or the numerical value of the starting page.

I have a 40-tab template set up that I use for my data modeling. There are 2 tabs that are typically the possible first pages printed, and all subsequent tabs currently have "auto" set as the page number.

For example, I want to print sheet1, sheet2, sheet7, sheet13, etc. I want sheet1 to start numbering with page "4" because there is a 3-page memo. So I edit the properties on sheet1 to make the first page number be "4", and the remaining sheets have "auto".

Now instead, I want to print sheet2, sheet7, sheet13, etc., and now I need sheet2 to start numbering with page "5" because there is a 4-page memo. I now need to edit sheet2 to change it from "auto" to now be "5" in the page numbering. In this instance it is not relevant what sheet1 contains as page numbering because it won't be selected when printing.

In both cases, all but sheet1 and sheet2 have a default of "auto" in the page numbering. I just need to change sheet1 or sheet2 to coincide with whatever numbering situation I need.

I would like to have a particular cell, say A25 on both sheet1 and sheet2, be used to contain the numbering needed for those 2 sheets, whether it be a numerical value or the word "auto". Any suggestions?

Thank you all for reading my submission. I do appreciate your valuable input!

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, let's leave the page numbering for what it is.
Some where along the way you set the page breaks and print areas.
You could create/write a macro that selects the areas and the page breaks, that way you can have a counter run along an update the page number (in the footer, header or a cell)
I hope my explanation is not too unclear and help you with your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.