1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - pair two people?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by J4ck123, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J4ck123

J4ck123 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a column of peoples names in Excel and need a way of pairing two people together, with no people being duplicated.

Does anybody know how to go about accomplishing this? I've searched everywhere ... and cannot find an answer.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Highlight the column of names, click the "Data" tab, in Sort & Filter click "Advanced", select "Unique records only" and click "OK".

Note that if you want to preserve your original list, select "Copy to another location" (above "Unique records only") before clicking "OK".

3. JWhitehead

JWhitehead

First Name:
    Jenn

Is it that you are trying to mix & match people together? Like drawing names out of an electronic hat?

4. JWhitehead

JWhitehead

First Name:
    Jenn
    If it is that you are looking for the random name out of a hat ...

Not saying it's the only way to do it, as there are likely many ways.

Attached, you will see something I've put together. The Excel document contains 2 sheets - "Values" and "Formulas". The "Values" tab will show the results, where the "Formulas" tab will show you what I've entered.

What I did is take a list of 20 names (Column B). Added the =Rand() formula in column C <-- this assigns a random number between 0 and 1. Then in column A added the Rank function. Then leaving a space, so I know what is what, I numbered my lines (Column E). Then using the VLookup, look for #1 in the column that has the Rank function. Column G is only there to identify if it is the same name/person.

Once you have a random number in column C, you might want to copy/paste values because it will keep changing every time you modify any cell's value.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice