1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - Pictures and Limiting the number of rows and columns?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by StumpedTechy, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I know you can hide and unhide rows and columns but can you make it so they don't even exist?

I have a just under 2m picture I want to put as a background but when you put the file as a background it tiles it the whole 256 columns and 65,536 rows even if I have them hidden.

This makes my 2.5m spreadsheet over 32 megs in size even with the columns/rows hidden.

I need to be able to see the lines on this above the picture for this project and I can't find any way to do this. I thought I could put it in the background but this pesky problem turned up.

I tried adding more space to the jpg that was empty white space but this too also increased the file size.:(

2. The Villan

The Villan

What lines are you talking about? Are they gridlines provided by Excel or your own lines?

Got this from Microsoft website concerning background pictures in Excel. http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/HA012191711033.aspx#excel

Excel
    The sheet background feature in Excel enables you to place a background image that covers the entire worksheet, but does not print. Depending upon the image size and type, the background graphic may either be stretched across your worksheet or tiled.

Note that sheet backgrounds can tremendously increase the file size of workbooks. Depending upon the picture file type you use, the file size may be increased by anywhere from several hundred kilobytes to several megabytes. EMF (Enhanced Metafile) picture types usually provide the best resolution for the smallest file size for graphics in Office programs. However, metafile pictures used as backgrounds in Excel will increase the workbook size more than larger picture types. For best results with sheet backgrounds, use Web-compatible file types such as GIF, TIF, PNG, or JPG. If you use the PowerPoint Save as Picture feature, you can save images as any of these picture file types.

Add a background to an Excel worksheet

Though Excel does not offer a watermark feature, a transparent image placed in the header or footer can approximate a watermark. If the image exceeds the height of the header or footer area in which it is placed, it will fall behind the text of your worksheet. However, while watermarks created in this way do print, they only appear on screen in Print Preview

3. StumpedTechy

I am talking about the cell lines. They do not show up if the cells are below the picture. But if I put the picture in the background it tiles and becomes huge.

Basically I just want to know how to make a spreadsheet to be a finite number of cells NOT the 256 x 65,536 that is defaulty provided.

4. StumpedTechy

Just so people can see what I am talking about -

1) Background - Tiled - Large.jpg - This is where if I put it as an attachment it makes the file super big about 35m. Notice all the extra Examples (I don't need them or want more than 1 of the picture).

2) Background - Hidden - Large.jpg - I got the items out of the picture but its like the cells still exist.

3) Foreground - Can't see cells - Small.jpg - The file size is much smaller now but I can't see the cells over the picture its just like the picture is an overlay. This is hampering what I need as well.

Basically I need the file size of function 3) but the functionality of number 2) and none of the extra fields of 1).

Attached Files:

5. The Villan

The Villan

I can see clearly what you are talking about. I do not have a solution for you, but you never know, there is always somebody out there who wanted to do such things and has a solution. So be patient and somebody might come up with a solution.
    I wonder if there is an add in fix that allows you put the picture in the background and size it accordingly. There are some amazing fixes around.

6. StumpedTechy

Shameless bump anyone with any thoughts?

7. bomb #21

bomb #21

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice