1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shelly24, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelly24

shelly24 Thread Starter

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I think it is probably a simple option that is set that I don't know about. Someone in my office has a spreadsheet. It contains dollar amounts and customer names the first 2 rows are title rows that tell you what is in the row. Somehow the words are not there and when we type they do not show up. You can see them in the formula bar but not in the cells. When you go to print preview sometimes you can see the words that way. What could cause this. Thank you for any help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The cells are either hidden or someone has changed the font color to white..

3. shelly24

shelly24 Thread Starter

Rockn, Thank you I think it must have been the font color. We deleted the rows and inserted new ones before I saw your reply. But when I used white font on another spreadsheet it did the same thing. Smart thinking. Thank's again.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Just to make you aware.

If you put a custom format on cells, and type:

;;;

into the custom format bar, this also hides the cell contents. I think you only need two semi-colons in Excel 97. I tried it in 2K and thought they might have removed the option, but there it was when I tried three.

5. shelly24

shelly24 Thread Starter

Dreamboat, Thank you for your reply. I did try that in excel and you are correct. If you put three semi-colons in the custom format box it does hide the contents of the cell. But with the problem I was having when I typed in the cell you could not see any characters at all displayed as you typed. With the custom format you mentioned you can see the characters as you type but as soon as you hit enter or tab and go to a different cell the characters are hidden. So I think the problem must have been the white font color. Thank's again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice