1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Problems which could be tied to "computer problems"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Vinman11, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinman11

Vinman11 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion Laptop that I purchased in 2006, with windows XP. From time to time I've had some problems running Excel....things like inability to copy/paste numbers into columns of cells....cells being highlighted just by passing the cursor over them without clicking the mouse pad cursor....numbers appearing in cells and changing the color I've chosen for that row of cells. It takes several attemps to correct these episodes.

One odd thing that happens which is not just an Excel issue is when I move the cursor, a shaded rectangular area forms around a fixed point.....the further away from the fixed point I move the cursor, the larger the shaded area becomes.....like something is "stuck". This also happens upon startup, before I even open Excel. A rectangle is right now "anchored" to a point in the upper right corner of my screen saver page. When I move the cursor to the lower left corner, all my applicartion & file icons on my startup page become highlighted in blue because they are inside the rectangle. When I move the cursor back toward the upper right, away from my icons, they no longer are "shaded" in blue. When I just left clicked (using the mousepad, not an actual mouse). The white dotted line that follows the cursor around, thus forming that rectangle disappeared momentarily....but it comes back eventually.

I just opened a new Excel sheet and without clicking down the cursor, I've got a shaded rectangle "anchored", this time by cell B1. I click on C6 and the shading disappears.

Another thing that occurs now is when I go into an e-mail and try to insert a word or a letter, the entire word next to where I want to insert a letter/word is highlighted. Then if I click, the entire paragraph is highlighted. One more click and the highlighting finally goes away and I'm left with what I wanted to begin with....just the cursor....like before all this weirdness began.

My impression on the big picture here is that this is a computer functionality issue that also affects Excel rather than the other way around. I'm also finding that reply e-mails are sending themselves before I hit "send". I use AOL on a wireless hookup.

I could put up with the computer oddities, but this time they're affecting Excel to the point of exasperation. I did a full Norton treatment a little while ago and completely shut down & restarted the machine, but both the computer and Excel are stll acting "jumpy".

Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated. I was thinking maybe if I stopped using the well worn mouse pad and started using an actual mouse, these problems would all go away, but I doubt it.

Thanks!

Vinman

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Have you checkd the 'Scroll Lock' button, maybe you pressed this one by accident.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice