Excel Quandry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Here's one of life's great mysteries (to me anyway). I'm a novice Excel user, but I'm trying to populate a workbook provided to me as part of a project. New Entries or modifications on the setup page are supposed to flow through other related pages in the worksheet but they don't. I enter new data, click update and nothing transfers. There are a number of us working the same project having the same problem.

Here's the kicker--my colleague, two desks over, has taken the workbook I sent him and successfully entered data which transferred so formulas, etc are obviously OK. Our Excel versions and IT setups are identical and Excel settings (macro security, etc) seem to be ok as well. We've gone through the process and he's not doing anything different from me.

To further baffle me--if he makes amendments and sends the file back to me, then I can make amendments as well!! But if I open the file from scratch, I'm back to square one.

I'm hesitant to forward the working file he's sent me to other colleagues as I still don't understand what's not working and would like to know I'm providing a good platform for the work.

Can anyone unravel the mystery for me?

"click update" suggests there's a control (button) somewhere that's supposed to run code (a macro).

Very difficult to say without seeing the code. As a complete guess, it could be down to your calculation settings (Tools -- Options) not being "Automatic" ... somehow. :confused:

OBP

Taking bomb's point, can you post the code or a blank zipped copy of the workbook on here?

Warthog1

Steve
Bomb, I think you've cracked it!

Setting the calculation setting to automatic enables the data to flow through the workbook as it should. Only glitch now is that when I close and re-open the workbook, sometimes the setting reverts to manual--not sure why. Any ideas on that one.

Thanks for your supprt!

I think there's some kind of rule that if the first workbook you open in an Excel session is in Manual "mode", then any workbooks subsequently opened will follow suit ... or something. :confused: :)D)

Stephen Dunn (who is a genius) says "Calculation is set by the first file opened in any Excel session. So, the only way (that I know) of achieving this is through VBA.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic
End Sub

".

Thus if you can't pinpoint the cause, then I suppose you could put that in the ThisWorkbook module & it might do the trick. Possibly. :D

I think the way MS tried to set this up was by Workbook, set through an application-level command. Very confusing IMHO. One other thing which may be hindering you is if you have a Personal.xls workbook. If that is set to manual calculation, as it carries with it the same properties/principles that every other workbook carries with it (as that is exactly what it is), if you have that set to manual calculation then this may also be problemmatic.

Just an option to check. To set/check the calculation of Personal.xls, open an excel instance, click Window | Unhide | Personal.xls | Unhide || Tools | Options | Calculation (tab) | Automatic | OK || File | Save || Window | Hide.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online