1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel question, fairly simple (I hope)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by christianreese, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christianreese

christianreese Thread Starter

So, here's the question. I am wanting to reference information from one worksheet into another. In worksheet 1 I have 2 columns. Each cell in column 1 has an a number (100, 109, 153, etc.) and column 2 has text which matches up with the number in column 1. So, A1 might say "115" and B1 would say "This number reflects auto information". In a second worksheet, I want to write in a number into column 1, and whichever number I write I need to refer to the corresponding number in worksheet 1, column 1. I then need it to write out the text to the right of the number I just input. So if I write "115" in A35 of the second worksheet, I need the corresponding text from worksheet 1 to write out in B35, "This number reflects auto information".

Basically, all the information is in Worksheet 1, and when I write out any of the numbers in Worksheet 2 I need it to be reflected. Make sense? Thanks everyone.

+ Christian

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Welcome to the board.

Are the sheets in the same workbook? If so, this formula in column B of the second sheet:

=INDEX(Sheet1!B:B,MATCH(A35,Sheet1!A:A,0))

3. christianreese

christianreese Thread Starter

That's great! Thanks Bomb #21. Not entirely sure what the formula means but it worked perfectly and I plan on deciphering it over the next few days. You wouldn't happen to have any references on books or websites where I could learn a lot of these functions and formulas? I know there are tons of websites available, but they tend to not be very user friendly and assume quite a bit of an excel working knowledge. Thanks again for the quick help!

+ Christian

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

=MATCH(A35,Sheet1!A:A,0) returns the matching row number in column A of Sheet1 for the value in A35 (of Sheet2).

Say that number is (i.e. row) 20. Then the whole thing effectively becomes =INDEX(Sheet1!B:B,20) which is whatever is in row 20 in column B (of Sheet2).

K? :)

A fair few people who know a lot of these functions and formulas hang at this free and friendly website. ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice