1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Excel Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by misterjw, Oct 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. misterjw

misterjw Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a list of students on one tab, with multiple columns. I have a second tab with more information about each student.

I need a formula to find the students name from tab one and look for that student on tab two then return a yes/no.

For example, on tab one I have the student Elvis Presley. I want the formula to look on tab two and tell me if Elvis has Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, or Transportation, and then fill in that information back on tab one.

See the example excel.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

looking at the spreadsheet , i think i can see what you are after and so we can use a lookup with 2 values combined with an IF to return the Yes or No

=INDEX('Tab 2'!$A:$A,MATCH($A2&C$1,INDEX('Tab 2'!$A:$A&'Tab 2'!$B:$B,0),0)))
    If there is an Error , then that match does not exist - so that would be a No
    if the lookup returns the name - then its a match and Yes

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Tab 2'!$A:$A,MATCH($A2&C$1,INDEX('Tab 2'!$A:$A&'Tab 2'!$B:$B,0),0))),"No","Yes")

Attached Files:

3. misterjw

misterjw Thread Starter

Wow, that is amazing! I never in a million years figure out that formula. Thanks so much!

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you are welcome

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197747