1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AuntieButtons, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AuntieButtons

AuntieButtons Thread Starter

I am using Excel 2000 on my work computer.

I have several Excel files which contain hundreds of hyperlinks linking documents into spreadsheets. I have recently had to move the location of most of the linked files and the spreadsheet to which they are linked and now most of the hyperlinks will not work. Is there a way in which I can get the hyperlinks to find the source locations again? As I say there are hundreds of links so I don't really want to have to browse for each file again and re-link.

Help!

AuntieButtons:rolleyes:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Depending on how you are changing relative locations of the linked files, you may be doing a lot of editing. I am using Excel 2003 but I believe the information is the same for Excel 2000 ...

The default setting in Excel is to create hyperlinks based on the relative location of the linked file to the location of the Excel file. The Excel program does not keep track if you move the linked files to a different sub-directory or rename a sub-directory

However, you can move or copy the entire directory structure containing the Excel file and all of the linked files to a new location and the links should still work.

With the Excel file open, you can do a "Save as" to a new location and the program will recalculate all of the relative hyperlinks based on the new location of the Excel file

3. MRdNk

MRdNk

Have they all been moved to the same new location, ie. from C:\Hyperlinks1\ to C:\Hyperlinks2\ or lots of different places? And is there any relationship between the name of the hyperlink and its new location?

4. AuntieButtons

AuntieButtons Thread Starter

The spreadsheet sits within a folder. Within that folder is a another folder which contains SOME of the linked in documents which is a different file structure to how it was before it was moved. Other linked in documents are situated on other drives/parts of a server.

:rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice