1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel questions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by starchild, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I got sidetracked recently, with learning to set up spreadsheets in Excel. Also, doing tutorials, which are a big help (especially ones that are interactive so I can see why I'm doing it).

I'm surprised (myself) at what I'm learning and how fast, even just in the doing.

I have a question I'm not sure how to put it, so it's hard to look up an answer elsewhere.

I decided to start a spreadsheet listing all my books. Maybe even ones I know the names of, but don't have, like booklists from other books. Just to make it more interesting, I'm also putting down the first line of the book. This is the last coumn and I figured out how to auto fit it so it just goes along making that column as wide as needed for this. (at first I tried to get it to wrap in a certain place, to keep it from being so long, but this created too many blank spaces in the other areas) I'm using title, author, date, number of pages

One question with this is (mainly as a chance to learn) I have a book that has two authors. I have the titel and other info entered, and first had the two authors names (last, first/last, first) in one cell. But, got to thinking if I set it up, or do a search (in theory) it would be good to have both author's names associated with the book, separately. I can retype (copy/paste) the other information with each name, I know. I can copy/paste the 2nd author in the cell under the first and put underscores in the other cells because they are blank. But, I'm thinking maybe there's a way to tie in the other information with BOTH authors, without retyping it for the 2nd? (you can see why this is hard to define) I know even less about Access, but thinking maybe this is where it might come in, macros or something. All I can see (from my limited knowledge of it) would be copying the book info for each author. But, that would end up looking (overall) like there were two books when there's just one. (I have no real reason for doing this or having it set up a certain way, aside from learning and practicing, but I may as well get it right while I'm at it)

I am picturing the spread sheed, with both authors, and only data with the first name, but somehow set up so when it's lited alphabetically by author, the same book info would come up? Since it's only one book (and info) with two authors.

Also, how would I go about counting the books (at some point)? Would each one have to be given a number- meaning another cell with a number in it, or in the cell with the title, for example? Or, could it just count the number of A (title) cells on it's own?

It's only been in the last few days I've gotten so I can set this up (and sort it, which to me is amazing, how it can do this in various ways)

Another option I'm thinking of is putting some kind of comments on, overall. For example, I am putting for each book "fic" for fiction, "meta" for metaphysical, and such. Now I know what this means, but thinking ahead and someday making a spreadsheet for someone else (like a business) it might be good to have, somewhere, a chart showing what each of these means. Or,maybe it should all be written out, like "fiction", etc?

If any of these questions are too off base, since I really don't know if they are doable or even make sense, that would be an answer, too.

I know at some point books and tutorials might come to this, but I've found I seem to learn better and faster if I actually do something, and learn/ figuring it out (ask) while I'm doing it. So I can actually see the point of it.

I never would have thought I'd find something like data and spread sheets so fascinating, but I really didn't know what they were or did.

Thanks

Carrie

2. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Carrie, to answer the easiest questions first.
    "I'm thinking of is putting some kind of comments on" - excel has a "comment" for each cell, got to the cell, rght click it and choose "Insert Comment"
    "Counting the number of books" can be done using a formula =count() or =dcount(). best to look then up i the help and have a play. It can also be done with VBA but that is another fascinating subject in it's own right.
    Having 2 authors is not quite so easy, I know how to do it in Access but not easily in Excel. Excel's "find" will fnd either name if they are both in the same cell anyway.

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

It will find it in the cell only if specified. You can search all the cells contents, or just portion, match cases (sensitivity) or not. You can se pretty much any aspect of a Find in Excel, that method is quite advanced.

Re a second author, I would think about using another column.

Re counting books, you can either use the COUNTA function for that or select all the books, right click the status bar, select Count (see attached picture).

Attached Files:

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, that (second author) is so simple, now that I see it. That would still leave the book title as one (for when it was counted) there is nothing in the blank cells above the one with the 2nd author? So they won't be blank. I asked this (about blank cells) and someone suggested putting an underscore in each one. Excel doesn't like blank cells.

I saw the option to add a comment to each cell but I was thinking more overall to the whole spreadsheet or column. Like saying what the entaries meant. Fic= fiction, non fic= non fiction, meta=metaphysical, and such. There's a word for this, like it's used on maps, but I can't think of it offhand. Legend? In this (spreadsheet) it might be a footnote, that gives with the abbrevations mean. This isn't a problem, I can even spell it out (and in this case the book speadsheet is for me, for practice) Just don't want to miss something else I can be doing with it.

I have something more to go on now. If I put "second author"(column) next to the first one I can move everything else over to the right one column? I will see if I can figure it out. If I insert a new column, I want it to be next to AUTHOR, so C column and move everything over.

This is something that, at one time I would have given up on before I started. But, now I am interested in it and finding out what I can learn and what-all this can do.

Thanks,
    Carrie

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Yes, insert a column. As for your "legend", I think it would be called just that - a legend. Unless you wanted to create a table of associated values and then have these values available from a drop down box in that specific column on your main sheet. To get the in-cell drop down, check out Data | Validation | List.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice