Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

excel row numbering over 100

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
This is driving me crazy! I just got a new computer with Windows 10 and Office 2016. I'm numbering entities in Excel and find that as soon as I hit row 100, the count goes back to 1. I want the row count to be what it is 101, 102, etc instead of 1, 2, etc. There is probably an easy way to fix this but I can't find it.

#3 ·
The problem isn't with consecutive numbering within a column but the default row numbering left of column A. It appears to reset to 1 every time 100 rows complete, so that row 101 becomes 1, row 201 becomes 1,etc. The correct row number is shown in the name box on the top left.

However, I had just discovered something I didn't see before that impacts upon this: when I reduce the size of the screen to half size, the numbers over 100 appear. It seems that for some reason my screen, (which is very large) doesn't show the first digit in the numbering queue in front of Column A. It appears that it is cut off by the screen so this is probably less to do with Excel than how Excel appears on my screen. This didn't happen, however, with the same screen with Excel 2007.

This, then, could be solved if I could move the left border of Column A a fraction to the right, yet as with other columns where this is easily done, I can't seem to move the left border of Column A to the right a fraction so that there is room to show the first digit in a 3-digit number.

#4 ·
Ok, I think I've found the problem and the solution. Once I had seen the 3 digits for row numbering appearing on a reduced Excel spreadsheet, I reset the auto adjust on my monitor and the 3 digits now appear on the full screen. I'm not sure why this is the case as it appears that this monitor had never truncated data before using Excel 2016. All my pages were completely shown. prior to this. I also don't see why resetting the monitor to auto adjust fixed this but it appears to. I had saved the changes and closed Excel 2016 then when I had opened it again, the 3 digit row numbering had remained intact, so I assume this is solved. I find it odd, however, that the monitor needed to be reset to view the left side of the shreadsheet as this had never happened with any other program nor spreadsheets in Excel 2007 using the same monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.