1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel shared books won't unlock

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by huguyguy, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huguyguy

huguyguy Thread Starter

Hi,
    We have shared an excel document on a shared drive with 10 different user, from time to time, it shows that the excel document is locked although it isn't, we have to wait hours before being able to open the workbook gain.
    What can be the issue?

thanks for your help

Max

2. jimr381

jimr381

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes windows forgets that everyone has let go of the file and then it will keep diferent files in a locked state. Usually if that last person that was previously in the file reboots their pc then it usually will free up the file. Can you let me know what version of Excel you are using and how you went about sharing the file? I want to verify that you did it correctly. ;)

3. huguyguy

huguyguy Thread Starter

thanks for your reply
    Not sure what steps did the Team take to share the book, but if for instance the book is locked under my name and I reboot my pc it doesn't solve the issue
    Excel is 2003 SP3

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

One posibility could be the rigths you have on the shared network folder.
    Maybe you are allowed to read, write and create but not to delete.
    In this last case the lock file which is created will not be deleted / removed and therefore it remains locked.
    Contact the system administrator and ask it this could be possible.
    Solution: add delete rights to this particular folder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919972